South-East Asian Regional Association for Medical Education (SEARAME)
From SCOME Wiki
Background: SEARAME & WFME
South-East Asian Regional Association for Medical Education (SEARAME) is the regional non-governmental organisation concerns with education and training of medical doctors in the countries in South East Asia. This organisation is one of six regional organisations under the umbrella of the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME). Since WFME is the official partner with World Health Organization (WHO), SEARAME is working closely with WHO-South East Asian Regional Office (WHO-SEARO) to improve the standard of medical education in this region.
Countries participating in the WHO-WFME-SEARAME are:
- Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea
- Sri Lanka
Members of the Association shall be drawn from the countries in the South East Asian Region. Other bodies or individuals from countries outside this region may be admitted to membership at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
Class of Membership
Members of the Association include
- Corporate member
- Associate member
- Institutional member
- Individual member
- Student member
- Honorary member.
Goals and Objectives
The general objective of WFME is to strive for the highest scientific and ethical standards in medical education, taking initiatives with respect to new methods, new tools, and management of medical education. WFME activities cover all stages of medical education, postgraduate vocational and specialist training and continuing medical education.
As a regional organisation of WFME, SEARAME aims to improve the quality and relevance of medical education in SEAR countries at all levels - undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing professional development in line with WFME.
- contribute to the setting of standards in medical education for good practice with regard to teaching and assessment, taking special note of the standards developed by the World Federation for Medical Education;
- foster communication amongst medical educators and medical schools in the countries of South East Asia and Beyond;
- Journal and publications;
- Faculty exchange
- help evaluate on suitable procedures for training students and medical teachers
- collect factual evidence about objectives and programmes in medical education in order to help describe, distribute and document methods of medical education in SEA;
- encourage medical educational research being conducted in countries in South East Asia and give support to research projects exploring aspects of medical education;
- promote collaboration with the other regional associations for medical education under the umbrella of the World Federation for Medical Education;
- promote the collaboration and synergy in health system and medical education in the context of the country;
- promote the establishment or make available the information regarding quality accreditation system to member countries
Executive meeting 2006
The meeting of the executive committee was held in March 2006 at Chulalongkorn University. This activity was a follow-up meeting of the communication between WFME, SEARAME and member countries took place during the bi-regional meeting of WPRO-SEARO helo in Bangkok the year before. THis executive meeting was supported by WHO-SEARO. THe meeting brought about the SEARAME work plan for the three year period.
Dissemination of WFME standards
Three monographs describing WFME standard will be translated into Thai and will distributed to the medical schools in Thailand.
Quality Assessment Workshop 2007
The SEARAME will organise a workshop concerning quality assessment and accreditation will be held in Chonburi province of Thailand during the period October 28-30, 2007. The title is "Baldrige Based Assessment". The facilitator is the world renown expert in the area of quality assessment, Dr Luis Carlingo. Two participants from each member country will be invited to join the workshop.
Executive Committee 2006-2008
The Executive Board of SEARAME comprises the President and up to six other members each elected by the General Assembly for a period of three years, and one representative of each country in SEAROWHO nominated by a National Association for Medical Schools or the equivalent. The member of Board during the term January 2006 to December 2008 are as follow:
- Khunying Kobchitt Limpaphayom, Thailand
- A.P.R. Aluwihare, Sri Lanka
Secretariat cum treasurer
- Anan Srikiatkhachorn
- Palitha Abeykoon, Sri Lanka
- Thomas Chacko, India
- Khaleda Islam, Bangladesh
- Rita Sood, India
- Arjun Karki, Nepal
- Hardyanto Soebono, Indonesia
- Ainun Afroza, Bangladesh
- Md.bodrul alam,bangladesh
SEARAME Secretariat office locates at the fifth floor,
Anandamahidol bldg., Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University,
Telephone: +66 2256 4542
Facsimile: +66 2252 2702
These texts (and the grammatical flaws) were taken from the SEARAME information flyer.