FMABC Website: http://www.fmabc.br/
Welcome to Santo André - SP
Welcome to Brazil, welcome to São Paulo, welcome to Santo André and welcome to Faculdade de Medicina do ABC!
Greetings foreigners, our guests of honor, we hope to see you here with us pretty soon! Take a look at what we can offer to you here in one of the most respected medicine colleges in Brazil. You won’t be disappointed!!! You will find here some useful information. Enjoy!!!
SANTO ANDRÉ - SP
The City: Santo André Santo André is satellite city of São Paulo and is only 30 minutes far from downtown, the third biggest city of the world. It’s also closed to one of the most impressive bays of Brazilian coast, Santos, only 50 km far from here (1hour driving).
Santo André was founded in 1553, it’s population in 2008 was 671.696 people. The weather in Santo André is sunny and humid in most part of the year, and the temperature varies from 10°C to 35°C degrees. Means of Transportation: train (R$2,55), bus(R$ 2,00-4,20) and taxi cabs are available here, and you can reach all the hospitals where we attend. We have many things to do here: cinemas (in the mall): 25 rooms (UCI, Cinemark, PlayArte); theaters: 2 rooms; international bank agencies: HSBC and CITYBANK; Natural Park: to those who like walking and parks, a good option is the Celso Daniel Park and Central Park. There you can find track fields, lakes with fish, tennis and soccer squares and a special attraction: an enormous figueira (a fichus tree) with more than 150 years. Thousands of trees, garças (a tipical Brazilian bird) and other birds, five lakes with fish, walking and bike tracks, a great park for the children, space for aeromodelism and a yellow shell acoustics for shows are the prominence of the park.
Around Santo André: The Village of Paranapiacaba, a charming place for those who likes antique arquitecture, is a city full of typically English constructions, and it was created to be a village of railroad workers. Beyond the exuberant constructions of Amazon wood, it is possible to confer the system of trains of eighteenth century. It is also possible to carry through ecological tourism in Paranapiacaba, through the tracks in preserved Atlantic Jungle ways, that reserve uncommon landscapes to the urban way, as waterfalls, animals in extinguishing and native vegetation.
THE MEDICAL SCHOOL
Faculdade de Medicina do ABC
Created in 1969, the medicine course of Faculdade de Medicina do ABC – FMABC has three decades and since then it has graduated qualified professionals to deal with a demanding market, offering high quality health to the population through diagnostic and treatment cares, as well as prevention of these. The course of Medicine lasts six years. The first two years are dedicated to the education of basic disciplines. This basic knowledge will be concluded during the third year, when the theoretical medical education becomes properly said. During the fifth and sixth years, through the practical performance in ambulatory hospitals and surgery centers the medical knowledge previously acquired will be improved and solidified. The ABC Institution consists not only in the University but also in some building at the campus and out of it. The central administration and its intermediate agencies are in the central building, with 10 laboratories, 08 conference rooms, and 10 classrooms. There is also an Institute of Morphology, the Surgical Technique and
Experimental Surgery building, The Ambulatory of Specialties and a building of rooms for theoretical lessons. Classrooms for small groups of pupils in the dependences of the Educational Hospital of FMABC also exist. The Capuava Health Center, Hospital of Sao Caetano and University-Municipal Hospital of Sao Bernardo do Campo are located nearby. The Mario Covas State Hospital Center is a reference of high quality health care to all the state and even Brazil.
HOSPITALS WE ATTEND
- The Hospital Estadual Mário Covas is maintained by São Paulo State’s Government, was inaugurated in 2003. It offers medical specialties and it is considered reference to many health centers of Brazil. It carries through examinations of high complexity.
- The Pronto Socorro e Hospital Municipal de Santo André is maintained by the City hall, and beyond urgency cases, it takes care of medical specialties.
- Also, the Ambulatório da Faculdade de Medicina do ABC provides medical attendance of lots of specialties. The visits are made by medical residents supervised by professors and are considered reference of good public health service, even so the attendance is requested too much, and visits end up being delayed for some months.
We also work at Hospital Anchieta, in São Bernardo do Campo, Hospital-Escola de Capuava, in Mauá and Hospital Municipal Universitário de São Bernardo do Campo.
- Professional Exchange in Santo André
Here in FMABC we offer clerkships in almost every discipline we have! Nevertheless some of those we recommend more than others for many reasons: tutors and residents speak good English, help and support incomings better than others; they already have the experience to work with incomings; they offer not only hospital experience but also seminaries, night shifts and many other activities beyond trivial work. So we marked this disciplines with asterisk (*) so that you can recognize them.
- Digestive Surgery;
- Plastic Surgery*;
- General Surgery;
- Vascular Surgery;
- Thoracic Surgery;
- Orthopedics and Trauma
- Research Exchange in Santo André
SCORE clerkships are newer at Faculdade de Medicina do ABC, but since the beginning of the activities many students have worked in our Labs. Until 2008, we only had research programs on Physiology and Biochemistry, but for this year we are planning new projects on Genetics and Pharmacology.
Every year we try to make a completely renovated social program, including in it the best places to visit and the nice places to eat, drink, dance and have fun! The complete Program will be given at the beginning of the clerkship, so don’t worry!
We also let the “gringos” (funny way to say “foreigners”) that are here to modify it and adjust it to each one. Parties, Night Clubs, beaches and lots of other must-see places are offered. You can also plan some things you’d want to do and we´ll help you with that.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT BRAZIL, SANTO ANDRÉ AND THE UNIVERSITY
Right in your arrival in Sao Paulo or Rio, you will easily find made Currency Exchange Banks or agencies located in the airport, where you can get some Reais (Brazilian money). Here in Brazil only our currency money is accepted to pay things, so we advise you to exchange some o your money since your arrival. Below we try to show you an idea of how cheap are some stuff here:
- Ordinary meal: R$10,00 = US$4
- Coke (can): R$2 = US$1
- Small coffee: R$2,00 = US$1
- Pizza (family size): R$30 = US$15
- BigMac, with French fries and a soft drink: R$15= US$7,5
- Train ticket: R$2,80 = US$1,4 Bus ticket: R$2,50 = US$5
- Cinemark tickets: R$16,00 = US$8 (1/2 price for International Student Card)
To make a phone call from any city in Brazil to Santo Andre you must dial: 021 11 plus the number. International calls dial: 0021+ country code + area code + phone number. Remember that when you make phone calls from your host’s house you will have to make a reversed charge call. To do it, you must dial 9 before the complete number.
- Board and lodging
You’re going to stay in some host student’s house, who may live alone, with the family or with other students. Most of the students of FMABC are from other cities (Sao Paulo, Sao Bernardo, etc) and they usually live with their families. Depending of the conditions and space of their homes, they can choose for paying a 1 month boarding house for you. His/her e-mail will be sent to you, so you can meet each other before you come. Your meals will be defined by your host. You can also eat at the hospital, at home or at restaurants. Remember that the host student won’t give you pocket money.
- Some Remarks
We gently ask you to bring your own stethoscope and white coat (SCORE student don’t need the stethoscope, but it’s nice to bring in case of visiting the ambulatory). There are coats for sale here, but bring at least one of your own. It’s not allowed entering in the hospital using shorts or sandals. You will have ID cards to have free access in the 5 hospitals.
- Special Hints
FMABC has a site where you can find more information about the university itself, academic directory and other institutions of our university: www.fmabc.br (All of its information is in Portuguese) International credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Dinners) are accepted almost everywhere, restaurants, supermarkets, shops, etc. The available mobile phone systems are: GSM, TDMA, EDGE and GRPS. You can use mobile phones (GMS) only buying a SIM card on shops for R$30,00. Pre-paid cards are also available. Don’t forget to bring some extra money for parties and nice trips (Rio, Iguaçu Falls, Bahia, etc). We are not responsible for any companions coming (parents, relatives, friends, pets, etc.)
- Arrival in São Paulo:
Usually the host student picks you up at the airport so don’t worry about that!!! We kindly ask you to send us back your CC as soon as you buy your ticket, to tell us your arrival time. Only in a emergency situation, you should know how to proceed: you arrive at “São Paulo International Airport”, in Guarulhos, there is a bus right in the exit of almost every gate of the airport called “Airport Service”. You should take it (it costs about US$20,00) to Barra Funda or Tiête train and subway station, and then go to Santo André’s train station. Santo André’s bus station is right in front of Santo André’s train station, and there you can take a bus to Fundação ABC (069 / 070 / B63R).
- Arrival in Rio de Janeiro:
From Rio, you can either come here by bus or airplane. Concerning flights, you have to go to São Paulo, arriving either in “Guarulhos International Airport” or “Congonhas National Airport”, and then take a bus to Santo André. Since Rio is very far from Santo André (around 600km), we’d like you to let us know your arrival plans, in order to assist you during your arrival.
- FLYING INFORMATION
- Brazilian Airlines Companies
- Varig (international and national flights)- http://www.varig.com.br
- TAM (international e national flights) - http://www.tam.com.br
- VASP (international and national flights) - http://www.vasp.com.br
- GOL (national flights) - http://www.voegol.com.br
- BRA (national flights) – http://www.voebra.com.br
- International companies with flights to Brazil
- Aeroflot (Russia) – http://www.aeroflot.com
- Aerolíneas Argentinas (Argentina) – http://www.aerolineas.com.ar
- Aeroméxico (Mexico) – http://www.aeromexico.com
- Air France ( France) – http://www.airfrance.com
- Alitalia (Italia) – http://www.alitalia.com
- American Airlines (USA) – http://www.aa.com
- Avianca (Colombia) – http://www.avianca.com.co
- British Airways ( UK) – http://www.britishairways.com
- Canadian Airlines (Canada) – http://www.aircanada.ca
- Continental (USA) – http://www.continetal.com
- Cubana de Aviación (Cuba) – http://www.cubana.cu
- Delta (USA) – http://www.delta.com
- Ibéria (Spain) – http://www.iberia.com
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (the Netherlands) – http://www.klm.com
- Korean Air ( South Korea) – http://www.koreanair.com
- JAL Japan Airlines (Japan) – http://www.jal.co.jp
- Lan Chile (Chile) – http://www.lanchile.com
- Lloyd Aereo Boliviano (Bolivia) – http://www.lobairlines.com
- Lufthansa (Germany) – http://www.lufthansa.com
- Pluna (Uruguay) – http://www.pluna.com.uy
- TACA (Peru) – http://www.grupotaca.com
- TAP Air Portugal (Portugal) – http://www.tap.pt
- SAA (South Africa) – http://www.saa.co.za
- SAS (Denmark, Norway and Sweden) – http://www.sas.com
- Swissair (Switzerland) – http://www.swiss.com
- United Airlines ( * USA) – http://www.ual.com
- Find More Websites that could help you during this time in Brazil
- City of São Paulo: http://www.cidadedesaopaulo.com/sp/en
- State of São Paulo: http://www.saopaulo.sp.gov.br/ingles/saopaulo/turismo/
- Tourism in Brazil: http://www.braziltour.com/site/en/home/index.php
The Local Committee
FMABC (Faculdade de Medicina do ABC) is affiliated to IFMSA-Brazil since 2003, but only in 2006 we signed a formal contract with ABC Foundation (the institution that maintains our 5 hospitals and the faculty). It has about 15 members but recently many students that have just entered in the University have become members, so this number may be higher. We have weekly meetings to discuss our Projects and campaigns and we have a lot of social programs.
FMABC-Local Committee Official Email: email@example.com
Ready to come??? Still have some doubts??? Don’t be afraid of asking one of our local officers. We will be glad to help you in whatever you need. See you soon! Have a nice trip!
- Gustavo Fitas: +55 11 985049332 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kevin Moreira: +55 11 984435884 - email@example.com
- Vinicius Papa: +55 11 996100438 - firstname.lastname@example.org