| ACEM UNE
Asociación Científica de Estudiantes de Medicina de la Universidad del Noreste
Tamaulipas' Location in Mexico
|Number of doctors per 1000 people||2 Doctors|
|Birth rate per 1000 people...||19.5 in our Metropolitan Area (Tampico, Madero y Altamira|
|Mortality rate per 1000 people ...||5.5 in our Metropolitan Area (Tampico, Madero y Altamira|
|Member of IFMSA-MEXICO since...||September 2012|
|Number of incoming students per year||5|
|Who is our LEO||Nelly Yamilet Cruz Animas|
|Our official website / Forum / Facebook group||http://facebook.com/SCOPETampico|
Alwa kixk hulich Tam-piko!!
(Welcome to Tampico in Huastec)
Welcome to the “Heroic City and Port of Tampico, Tamaulipas”, the unique and fantastic city surrounded by rivers and lagoons in which you'll learn quality medicine.
Tampico is located in the southeastern part of the state, directly north across the border from Veracruz. The name "Tampico" is of Huastec origin: tam-piko, meaning "place of otters" (literally "water dogs"), because our city is surrounded by rivers and lagoons that were the habitat of a large population of otters. Our city was founded on April 13, 1823, though there had been a series of human settlements in the area for centuries. The region had several early Huastec settlements.
Economic development during the 1920s made the city a pioneer in the aviation and soda industries. Oil is the chief export, but the city also is a major exporter of silver, copper, and lumber, together with wool, hemp, and other agricultural products. Tampico's downtown architecture is an eclectic mix and reflects the growth of the city during the Porfiriato (the period of rule by President Porfirio Díaz). Many buildings include the Neo-classical Town Hall, and the English redbrick Customs House in the docks. The prevalence of New Orleans-style architecture is attributed to the early years of the city, when many building supplies, including pre-built housing components, were shipped from that city to the area during its initial construction.
The Universidad del Noreste was founded in 1970, and It was the first private Medicine university in the state. Our medical school it's for 6 years; the first 4 years students take classes at school and in local hospital, then 1 year is only in the hospital and your last year 1 is in a community that have a health problems near your city. The Medicine School “Dr. José Sierra Flores it’s acreditated for the National Council by the Accreditation of Medical Education (COMAEM) and for the Medical Examining Board of Puerto Rico. These certifications are really important for all Medicine students because we can realize medical practice in many different hospitals of the country and in the United States of American as Houston and Dallas in Texas; perform the Undergraduate Medical Boarding school (NORMA Official Mexicana NOM-234-SSA1-2003).
Our health care system
Our metropolitan area has over twelve public and private hospitals with the best technical advances and a highly regarded medical staff consists of more than 1200 doctors practicing among more than 45 medical specialties.
Our health care system in Tamaulipas state has hospitals, second and third level are supported by the state and federal government.
- Spanish Charity of Tampico
- Salve Medical Clinic (outside Northestern University)
- Sanatorium Alijadores
- Holy Angel Clinic
- University Medical Clinic
- Maternal Centre - Child (CEMAIN)
- General Hospital “Dr. Carlos Canseco” (SSA)
- Regional General Hospital No. 6 of the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS)
- Regional General Hospital Clinic type C of the Institute of Security and Social Services for State Workers (ISSSTE)
- Civil Hospital of Madero City (SSA)
5*Mexican Petroleos Regional Hospital (PEMEX)
|2||Ischemic heart diseases|
|3||Breast and Cervical Cancer|
|4||Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease|
|6||Car crashes/Traffic accidents|
|7||Malignant breast tumor|
|8||Hypertensive heart disease|
|10||Renal Disease and Homicides|
In our city student exchanges are performed in the General Hospital “Dr. Carlos Canseco” (SSA); and Regional General Hospital Clinic type C of the Institute of Security and Social Services for State Workers (ISSSTE), which stand out for their excellent medical specialists and a quality education. The hospital will be elected by a LEO, depending on your area of interest.
• Allergy & Clinical Immunology with Pediatrics • Ambulatory Care and Prevention • Anaesthesia | Anatomy • Emergency Medicine • Epidemiology • Family Medicine • Forensic Medicine and Patology • Gynaecology/Obstetrics • Hematology • Intensive and Critical Care • Internal Medicine • Oncology * • Ophthalmology • Otorhinolaryngology • Pediatrics • Pathology • Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation • Physiotherapy • Primary Care • Psychiatry • Psychotherapy • Respiratory Medicine • Social Medicine • Sports Medicine • Sugery • Traumatology • Urology
This costume born in Tula, Tamaulipas many years ago in response the weather of the zone. now a days in Tamaulipas people only wears the "cuera" to enjoy folk dances of the different state regions as polka, picotas and huapango.
- Carne a la Tampiqueña
- Sea food (Blue crabs in Tampico)
HUAPANGO is our traditional folk dance and music style. Huapango literally means "on top of the Wood". The classical trio huasteco brings together a violin, a huapanguera and a jarana huasteca. The classical huapango is characterized by a complex rhythmic structure mixing duple and triple meters which reflect the intricate steps of the dance. When the players sing (in a duet, in a falsetto tone), the violin stops, and the zapateado (the rhythm provided by heels hitting the floor) softens . The huapango is danced by men and women as couples. A very popular huapango is El querreque, in which two singers alternate pert and funny repartees.
Huapango's different Forms
- Huapango Norteño: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg72D8d8Kl8
- Classic Huapango:
"El Querreque" (woodpecker)[[Media:]]
The accommodation will never be the same in our local committee, because we have national exchanges too!
Usually you will stay in the house of a local medicin student of our university and with his/her family. But in December and July you can stay with our national exchanges in a big house for students. The place in which you will stay, always are going to count with basic household services, such as ....
- Potable water
- Drainage and sewerage
- A bed
We as local committee can’t accommodate persons outside the exchange student (NO boyfriend, girlfriend, friends, family, pets, etc.)
Mexico is one of the most beautiful places in over the world and besides going to the hospital at the weekend will have the opportunity to travel around our Metropolitan area or cities specified as long as two months before the arrival of the students
- First Weekend
The first weekend is always in Tampico, in the one you are going to know everything about our city
- Second, Third and Fourth Weekend
You can visit other cities with other students, your LEO and contact person.
You can only select in January,June, July, August and December 2 cities; and in March and April only 1 city.
- Zacatecas, Zacatecas (9 hrs by bus)
- El Tajín in Papantla, Veracruz (4 hrs by bus)
- Xilitla, San Luis Potosi (4 hrs by bus)
- Guadalajara, Jalisco (12 hrs by bus)
- Mexico City (8-9 hrs by bus)
- Veracruz, Veracruz (6 hrs by bus)
For more information about social program please asks your LEO our visit our website http://leotampicomx.wix.com/scope-tampicomx (firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com )
Tampico has easy routes to travel around the city: the cheapest option to get to the hospital is by bus which costs 8 pesos MNX, however our contact person and LEO will show you the easiest and cheapest way to transport in our metropolitan area. Also you can transport by taxi is higher than a bus but is easily, the cost varies depends the distand between 25 and 50 pesos MNX
You can arrive Tampico by bus or plane and We always are going to received you as incoming in the airport or in the main bus station. The metropolitan area of is served by General Francisco Javier Mina International Airport. It serves routes to Mexican cities, mainly Mexico City, Monterrey and also has international services, with daily flights to Houston, Texas.
- Viva Aerobus www.vivaaerobus.com/ (Toluca-Tampico) (Cheapest flight)
- Interjet www.interjet.com.mx/ (Mexico City, Monterrey-Tampico)
- Mexicana www.mexicana.com/ (Mexico City, Monterrey-Tampico)
- United Airlines www.united.com (Houston Tx-Tampico)
- Aeromexico www.aeromexico.com/
- México City to Tampico, Tamps (9-10 hours)
If you decide arrive from Mexico City you should arrive to the North Mexico city Bus Station. You have to talk with your LEO because, they can help you in Mexico City to arrive to this station.
Omnibus de México: www.odm.com.mx/ (chepest option)
ADO de México: www.ado.com.mx/
- Monterrey NL – Tampico, Tamps (6-7 hours)
- Guadalajara, Jalisco to Tampico, Tamps (12 hours)
Don’t forget to send your LEO or contact person of your arrival details (time, date, route and travelling company) Don't worry about your arrival; We'll be always waiting for you!
Tampico is an extremely humid city (98%) , with summer heat indexes reaching 40 °C (104 °F). Its weather, though reasonably pleasant in spring and autumn, is hot in the summer; the average high reaches 32 °C (90 °F) in August, with an average low of 23 °C (74 °F). Winters are cool but not cold. The average January high is 22 °C (72 °F) and the average low in January is 13 °C (55 °F). Rainfall is frequent from May through September.
Do not forget to pack the following…
- December and January: Shorts, swimsuit, sandals jeans and a jacket
- March, April, June, July and August: Shorts, swimsuit and a jacket for our social program]
Our Avable Periods are on January, March, April, June, July, August, December . You can arrange your exchange in two different months provided they are marked within months. (Ex. 2 week of March and 2 of April; 3 weeks of December and one of January).
- Upon you arrive to Tampico, you have to give to your LEO the next documents: Health insurance, proof of enrollment for your University and sign local committee terms and conditions for Exchange Students (we'll provided you in Tampico).
- In our country as a medical student you have to use a WHITE uniform (School or hospital), so please bring your complete UNIFORM; this include white shirt, white pants, white shoes, white coat and men should wear tie (doesn´t matter the color); Also bring your scrubs, especially in surgery areas.
Clinical rotation: From Monday to Friday, time can be varied depending on the area, but never more than 8 hours per day ( we’ll report in your acceptance letter your schedule). With regard to language ... Not everybody in the hospital speak English, so you have to speak basic Spanish for having communication in the hospital and with patients. But do not worry we’ll always be there to help!
For any doubts, please contac your LEO in Tampico Nelly, in the following e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org and add us in facebook www.facebook.com/SCOPETampico
Alwa kixk hulich
See you in huastec
Tampico is waiting for you with open arms and the best of Mexico!!!
Nelly Yamilet Cruz Animas
Local Exchange Officer ACEM-UNE
e-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobible/Whatsapp: +521 (833) 312.04.02
Adan Dario Carrizales Duran
Mobible: +521 (833)149 22 20
Other cities offered for exchange
Acapulco, Chihuahua, Ciudad Mendoza, Culiacán, Durango, Gómez Palacio, Guadalajara, Guadalajara Zapopan, León, Mérida, Mexico City, Mexico City Xochimilco, Minatitlán, Montemorelos, Monterrey, Morelia, Oaxaca, Puebla, Saltillo, Tampico, Tepic, Toluca, Torreón, Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Veracruz Pt., Xalapa, Zacatecas